Quinoa is a superfood, low in carbs and fat, low GL and high in protein.
Ingredients – Makes 6-8 portions
• 2 cups quinoa
• 100g low fat goats cheese, I used Fairview Chevin – (see picture) broken in to bite size pieces
• 1 packet pitted olives – chopped
• 2 ripe avocados – halved and cut into cubes
• ½ cup fresh parsley roughly chopped
• ½ cup fresh basil roughly chopped
• ½ cup fresh coriander roughly chopped
• 6 Spring onions – finely sliced
• ½ red onion – finely chopped
• Edible flowers – optional
• 2/3rds olive oil – I used the extra light one
• 1/3rd fresh lemon juice
• ½ tsp. fresh chopped garlic
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
• Check seasoning and adjust
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
• Place tomato halves onto a greased oven tray, sprinkle with thyme leaves, salt and pepper and bake for 20min or until soft and slightly brown.
• Place quinoa in a pot and add 4 cups water, use the same size-measuring cup for the water. Add salt to season the water. Measure accurately.
• Bring the water to the boil and then turn down to a simmer until all the water has been absorbed. Mix with a fork.
• Once absorbed, switch off the heat and place a lid on the pot and allow the quinoa to steam for 15 min.
• Transfer quinoa to a big bowl and dress with the vinaigrette – reserve a little for later, you can use less dressing if you like.
• Add the chopped herbs
• Add the olives and baked cherry tomatoes
• Add spring onion and red onion
• Pour over a tiny more vinaigrette and mix well.
• Add the goats cheese and avocado – donnot mix now
• Garnish with edible flowers
• Once the avocado and goats cheese are in the salad do not mix further. It will go mushy
• Allow the quinoa to cool before adding the herbs
• Try adding a bit of mint