Thanks to my husband, who came up with this cracker of a breakfast idea. I now have a wonderful healthy addition to our breakfast repertoire. Gluten free, sugar free, low GL, low fat and low carb. Treat yourself without the guilt to this protein packed breakfast.
Ingredients – makes about 12 pancakes
- 1/2 cup almond flour ( you can also use oat flakes that have been milled to a flour, if you have a strong enough blender)
- 3 egg whites + 1 whole egg
- 2 scoops plain whey protein powder (optional)
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 6 figs – cut in half and sprinkled with a little xylitol, honey or agave syrup
- 100g -ricotta cheese
- Organic Agave syrup
- Non-stick spray or coconut oil for greasing the pan
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Place the figs on grease paper and bake for 10-12 min
- Place almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, vanilla essence, eggs and bananas in a food processor
- Blitz until well combined
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes
- Preheat a greased non-stick pan
- Using a ladle, pour the batter into the pan making circles about 8cm wide
- Cook until bubbles start to appear
- Carefully turn them and cook until golden on each side
- Place a small piece of ricotta on each hot pancake and drizzle with agave syrup, place some fig on top, eat immediately
- Agave syrup is made from the blue agave cactus plant. It is unprocessed, unfiltered and natural and has a wonderful maple like flavor. Agave is low in calories and has a low glycemic index. It is 100% organic and diabetic friendly and can be bought at most good health shops. Agave makes a healthy substitute for sugar, syrup and honey. Kids won’t be able to tell the difference.
- The protein powder in this recipe is there to lower the GL, it is not something that you will actually taste in the pancake. The protein will keep you fuller for longer too.
- You can add any fruits on top, strawberry and raspberries work well here too.
- For an extra health kick, sprinkle some chia seeds on top of each pancake.