As a part of my summer salad repertoire, I like to serve this for lunch at least once a week. Simple as this salad seems, it is packed with goodness, flavor and texture. I often feel that the good old tinned beans are overlooked and very much underrated! As I have said before, I am a huge fan of healthy food and quite honestly it tastes so much nicer too. Beans are one of those foods that are wonderfully good for you, packed with fibre, protein and healthy carbs. It works well here as a low GL meal due to the protein/carb ratio, and keeps the blood sugar stable, as well as keeping your tummy full for longer. It took me some time to get my kids to eat beans, but with persistence they are both avid eaters of beans in all forms. Thank goodness!
The salad is full of summer cheer with all the gorgeous colours basking together in a bowl. Sunny yellow peppers, cool cucumber as well as juicy cherry tomatoes are perfect vegetable partners to the salad .The basil, mint and parsley liven the salad up and my honey mustard vinaigrette is to die for.
This salad is great on its own, or with chicken or fish. Do something good and healthy for your body and give this one a go.
- 1 x tin of chickpeas – drained and washed
- 1 x tin of red kidney beans – drained and washed
- 1 x tin of butter beans – drained and washed
- 1 cup cucumber – diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes – diced
- 1 cup yellow pepper – diced
- ½ cup red onion – finely chopped
- ¼ cup each of mint, basil and parsley – finely chopped
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all salad ingredients together including the beans
- Mix the vinaigrette and dress the salad just before serving
- Add crumbled feta, artichokes or substitute with any herbs you prefer
- You could also use the tinned 4 bean mix